This is a refreshing and savory salad that is perfect as a starter. This recipe is versatile so feel free to swap other citrus out for the grapefruit, and lobster or raw sushi grade fish for the shrimp. The Onsuri Arbosana Olive Oil and the avocado are a fantastic combination. The cucumber and radish give a great fresh crispness to the other ingredients.
- 6 Each Medium Sized Shrimp
- White Wine Vinegar (or any light colored vinegar)
- Sea Salt
- Small Wooden Skewers
- ½ Each Lemon, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Onsuri Arbosana Olive Oil
- ½ Avocado (I used hass but any ripe avocado will work)
- ½ Ruby Red Grapefruit, peel and pith removed with a knife, and then segmented
- 1 Each Persian Cucumber, sliced into thin rounds (I used a japanese mandolin)
- 2 Each Red Radish, sliced into thin rounds (I used a japanese mandolin)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Sliced Chives
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Flaky Sea Salt (I used Maldon sea salt)
For the shrimp, skewer each shrimp through the center so that they stay straight while cooking. This step is optional, you can also just cook the shrimp without being skewered. Fill a pot with just enough water to cover the shrimp. Add in some vinegar and a large pinch of salt. Bring the water to just below a simmer, around 175F. Add in the shrimp and poach for about 1 minute 30 seconds. Remove the shrimp from the water and plunge into ice water. Once they are cool, drain them from the water and remove the skewers if you used them. Peel the shrimp if they were not peeled. Set the cooked and cooled shrimp aside.
For the dressing, mix all the ingredients together. Adjust the seasoning with more fish sauce and lemon juice as needed.
- To plate, lay out the cucumber and radish slices on the plate in a circular shape. Top the slices with the shrimp, avocado, and grapefruit segments. Drizzle over the dressing being sure to mix the dressing to evenly distribute the oil and liquids. Sprinkle the sliced chives over everything. Grind fresh black pepper over the top and sprinkle liberally with the flaky sea salt. If you're not serving immediately then do all steps of plating except for the dressing, chives, salt, and pepper. Dress and season the salad when you are ready to serve.